Home » » Why Don't You...

Why Don't You...

Why don't you check out some of these amazing museum exhibitions this weekend now that they weather has turned cold!

I still can't believe I haven't been down to the New Museum to check out the first American retrospective of artist Elizabeth Peyton's artwork. There are over 100 of her works on display so you might want to allow extra time for viewing. I know I could stare at her portraits all day so I just might have to!

In addition to Van Gogh, MoMA also has a wonderful exhibition entitled Kirchner and the Berlin Street which chronicles the street scenes of German Expressionist Ernst Ludwig Kirchner that were painted between 1913 to 1915. They are considered some of his best works so check them out before the show says auf wiedersehen on November 10th.

As someone who's studied art history, I have many favorite artists and Vermeer is chief among them. The fact that there are only 35 known works of his art in existence and that The Frick owns three of them always amazes me. These three paintings have not been seen together in over 10 years so this is a special treat. Just make sure you get there before November 2nd!

One of my readers was kind enough to remind me that the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum has a lovely exhibit of 19th-century watercolor interiors from the Thaw Collection on display through January 25, 2009. They are so beautiful and intricate that I can't believe they are watercolors!

Everyone keeps telling me that I have to check out the Giorgio Morandi exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know much about this artist so that makes me want to see it even more. Morandi is touted by The Met as "one of the greatest 20th-century masters of still-life and landscape painting in the tradition of Chardin and Cézanne." Pretty impressive!

0 comments:

Post a Comment