Home » , , » Dinner with the Prince of Chintz

Dinner with the Prince of Chintz

Yesterday was a very long day that began with the Evolution of Design panel discussion and numerous events at the D&D Building and then culminated in the Stars of Design awards. I will definitely try to recap the panel discussion later because I think we made some interesting points about websites, blogs, and social media but that will have to wait until I catch up on all the work I put off yesterday and also accept a rug delivery at the bachelor pad. A decorator's work is never done!

I will leave you with a little story though. Last night, I had the honor of sitting next to the design legend and Prince of Chintz Mario Buatta at the Stars of Design awards dinner. I've had the pleasure of meeting him before but it was so nice to be able to sit and chat with him about his career and the design world. He had lots of great things to say about Sister Parish and Albert Hadley who he credits with teaching him everything he knows about architecture. He also advises all you young designers out there to study designs of the past and especially the 18th century. You don't have to emulate it but you should definitely know about it!

I was really surprised to learn that Mr. Buatta has never published a book! He did say that he's had offers but never pursued them so I did my best to try to change his mind! I know that I would love to read about his life and how he came to become the Prince of Chintz. He's also quite the jokester and loves to play practical jokes so I know it would also be filled with lots of funny stories and anecdotes! I wish I had a tape recorder with me last night to record just some of them! So the next time you run into Mario Buatta, make sure you tell him that he needs to write a book! Maybe we can all persuade him together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment