Home » , , » Holiday Chic Gift Guide: Gold

Holiday Chic Gift Guide: Gold

I wanted to do a gold themed gift guide but wasn't sure what book would work with it until I saw Megalomania: Too Much is Never Enough on Style.com. I have to say that I'm not exactly sure what the book is about exactly but at least the cover fits the theme perfectly. Kind of also reminds me of Dictator Style which is a favorite of the design world.

I don't know why they don't make gold cell phones and PDA's and the ones they do make are ridiculously expensive. I wear gold all the time and would love it if my technology matched my jewelry. It's really too bad that Vertu is priced way over most people's budget's because they are perfect. Maybe if we're lucky they will come out with a Tar-jay line since there might not be anyone left who will be able to afford them soon!

I read somewhere that the tradition of hanging wreaths on doors began when athletes of the Greek Olympics would take their laurel wreath prizes home and hang them on their doors. This gold bay leaf wreath from Jayson Home and Garden is so beautiful and simple that I think I might have to buy one for myself and leave it up past Christmas.

I already have my gold rimmed china and stemware but I love Gold Aves from Royal Crown Derby. It's a little Versace but you could tone it down by mixing it with some simple white pieces. Also reminds me of a fancy version of a Thomas Paul design.

I love the gold Piggy Bank by Harry Allen but it costs more than the money you could fit in it so my new favorite is the Doggy Bank by Ototo for $57 that I saw on Coco & Kelley! Not only is the price right but you could also tell your friends that it was designed by Jeff Koons and they might believe you.

Another kitchy piece is the gold bar door stop designed by Arik Levy from the Conran Shop. Looks like something a bachelor would have in his apartment or Bart Bass would keep in his safe. Could be the perfect gift for the man who has everything...or perhaps in this economy...nothing left.

I have a fabulous chunky gold bracelet that I bought on J. Crew for $37 that everyone thinks is vintage but unfortunately the "gold" is rubbing off and now it looks pink. I would love it if I could put this Diane von Furstenberg for H. Stern bracelet on my wish list but at $9,700 it seems a bit extravagant or crazy. Maybe someday.

I hope the gold doesn't rub off the shoes too because these little metallic gold flats from J.Crew would be perfect with jeans. Is it crazy that I consider gold a neutral?

The ultimate gold standard has to be the Portofino vacation home of Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana who obviously live la dolce vita there but then again, who wouldn't! Maybe you can make friends with their friend J. Lo and she can help wrangle an invitation. I hear she may be on the market again soon so she might just need a getaway or a babysitter. Buon Natale!

0 comments:

Post a Comment