A Fashionable Townhouse

The mood board that I posted yesterday with the Rothko painting reminded me of Allison Sarofim's amazing West Village townhouse. I just came across the article about it that I ripped out of the February 2004 issue of Vogue so it was perfect timing.

I was under the impression that David Netto had designed the entire townhouse but turns out that he just helped design the modern white basement room for watching movies and hanging out. Allison actually worked with her friend Miles Redd to design the other four floors of her townhouse. I also found out that the previous owner was model Linda Evangelista. So it really does seem like a great space to post on the first day of fashion week.

This photo of Allison gives you a better sense of the color of the living room. The entire home was inspired by many sources including by the de Menil house in her native Houston which was designed by Phillip Johnson in 1950. Another inspiration was the film Bell, Book and Candle which I have never seen but is going at the top of my queue now!

In the Vogue article by Hamish Bowles, Allison says, "my main objective was to create a subtle, clean-lined backdrop so that the artwork and interesting pieces of furniture would really pop." The living room color also matches the paint color of the walls of Marc Jacob's Paris apartment.

Allison originally trained as a chef so a lot of thought was put into the design of the kitchen and dining room. She also contributed to Domino magazine and acts on occasion. I couldn't find any good photos of the garden which was modeled after the garden courtyard at the Museum of Modern Art, right down to the Bertoia chairs.

I don't know why I was surprised that the interiors are so traditional but they way they are designed with less furniture and "stuff" make them very modern.

This room is one of the most simple but it's definitely my favorite. But then again, how can you go wrong with a room that contains a Twombly, a Vuillard, an antique daybed and a vellum table. I also love how the soft silk rug looks layered over the sisal carpet. It probably also feels great under your feet when you get up from a nap on the daybed!

Less is more in the office area as well.

The master bedroom was upholstered in soothing blue silk just like Allison's mother's bedroom.

I'm surprised I didn't realize Miles Redd had a hand in this home after I saw the mirror and marble bathroom!

I know furniture and art can be tricky in the bathroom because of the steam but I love treating them like the other rooms in the house by adding them in. You just might want to make sure they aren't priceless antiques and artwork!

The basement is where designer David Netto lent a hand. All the areas, including an extra bedroom are clean and white.

I just had to research screens and projectors for a project and I can tell you that they aren't cheap! But it would be fun to have a basement screening room to watch movies.

Even though the room is white, it's not boring since all the pieces are varying shades of white.

I like that the back walls looks like it's the original brick. The Chuck Close work isn't too shabby either.

The zebra rug and fur throw also help to warm up a white space that could end up looking very cold.

I wish I had the information about the artwork. If anyone knows who it's by, please let me know! Funny how the coffee table looks blue in this shot and clear in others too.

I don't usually like such modern looking rooms but I actually think it would be fun to hang out in this one, especially since the rest of the home is more traditional. I think it's also fun that they styled the room as an homage to Eileen Gray, below, for Domino. Since they are no longer around, I hope Vogue will continue to feature fabulous and fashionable homes like this one each month! Happy Fashion Week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment