Home » , , » Life with Andrée

Life with Andrée

I'm not a huge fan of black and white or neutral interiors but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them when I see them done well. Such is the case of the Paris townhouse designed by the uber-fabulous French interior designer Andrée Putman. She's so chic she frankly scares me a little bit! I picture her scowling and yelling in raspy French to her workmen while a Gitanes dangles precariously from her lips.

But, I love the way she mixes the modern furnishings, including furniture from her six easy pieces line for Ralph Pucci, with the 19th century interior full of period moldings and hardware. Even though I love color, I feel like I could easily live her it's so serene and relaxing. I think I might need to have multiple homes to accommodate all of my different design personalities.

I've seen her do this type of vertical garden in the courtyard pictured above at the Perhing Hall Hotel in Paris and I hear she has plans to install one at the Morgans Hotel in New York that she originally designed 20 years ago and is currently in the process of redesigning.

I think part of the reason that the home doesn't look too cold or stark is the use of so many curved lines. From the circular staircase above to the custom furniture with curved edges and tables with big round ball feet, everything is soft and seems to flow. She even continues the curves in the kitchen and bathroom not shown.

I think modern gets a bad wrap sometimes but Andrée Putman actually manages to make it look pretty and inviting. I just hope she didn't get any cigarette ashes on the white carpet!

Photos by François Halard

0 comments:

Post a Comment